The new solargraph is here! This is a 6 month exposure in my pinhole camera (an old beer can) attached to the basketball pole outside, pointed to the south. The whole idea here is: this is the path of the sun though the sky during different parts of the year. Winter is at the bottom when the sun is low, summer is at the top where the sun is high. This is my first full 6 month solargraph. I added a drain to the can last December, after the last solargraph had a bad spot in it where the paper sat in the water. Water gets in the pinhole part when it rains. I made a small pinhole in the bottom, and added a second bottom of another can with another pinhole in the bottom of that. A baffle system to not let light into the can from the bottom. I painted this baffle all flat black to not let reflections into the can to the photo paper.
I just pulled the photo paper from my solargraph, running from Aug 7 through Dec 20, 2017. Almost 5 months. There was a tablespoon or two of water in the bottom, which I believe could have only come in through the pinhole. Continue reading “Solargraph”
On December 12, 2017, I went up into the Sierras into some much darker skies, with less light pollution. The moon was out of the way, so it wouldn’t be ruining the sky for pictures, as it is way too bright. I took my Canon EOS 80D camera, with my lens, and tripod, and set it up in a clearing about 100 yards off the road. I ended up with a little more than two hours worth of images, 30 second exposures at f/2.8 and an ISO of 1250, to create this 12 second video.
The weather hasn’t been great, and I’ve been pretty busy, but I got my Cocoon Nebula picture processed that I took in July and August. Continue reading “Cocoon Nebula”
Lots of clouds and high winds have been causing me to not be able to take images. Those cleared up just in time for the moon to start getting too bright. I’m taking a picture of the Cocoon Nebula now, but will have to finish it in a few weeks as the next new moon approaches. Continue reading “Clouds…”
I’m finally starting to take images! All the setup is done. A lot of delays caused by clouds, wind, etc. I’m just finished with the Ring Nebula. Continue reading “First image with the new telescope!”
I’m working thru the issues, trying to get the telescope ready for automated imaging. Some of my challenges are: I’m not good at staying up late!, work schedule, high winds, clouds, and lastly after doing an around 500 point T Point model, I found the polar alignment was way off. I noticed the bubble level on the mount was off too. Continue reading “Working through problems”
The new telescope is up on the mount. I have a lot of wiring to do, to put it all back together. I got my smaller FSQ-106 telescope on top of it also. The old C11 looks pretty tiny compared to this new one. I’ll be selling the old C11 telescope. Continue reading “New telescope on the mount”
The new AG Optical Systems telescope was delivered today! A 14.5″ iDK, with carbon fiber tube. It looks a lot larger than I expected, almost the size of a 55 gallon oil drum!